Saturday, September 15, 2007

today

we went to an anti-war rally and march at a park out in the boonies…..there were a few bands and some speakers. We then walked with signs to our Representative’s office – that of Peter Roskam (groan).

It was interesting to see the reactions of the passersby – some honking with delight and waving, others with looks of disgust…..and some spewing nonsense…..

“learn your history!”

“support the troops! support the troooooooops!”

“Iraq should be a parking lot!”

This last comment made me really sad and I just can’t believe there are people who actually believe in statements like that.

It was nice to be with a group of likeminded people, and taking the message into the heart of oblivion country where people are so wrapped up in their own lives and think that life doesn’t exist outside of strip malls, Macy’s and Fox News – hence the many confused, twisted faces of passersby.

There is a large demonstration downtown Chicago on October 27th and Graham and I are planning on being there. I will post info about this when I have more. I know it is starting in Union Park and will move proceed downtown.

Peace.

No comments: