Wednesday, December 12, 2007

been guarding the homestead with a pitchfork for many years now

Bonfire of the Disney Princesses

This trend started when my Emily was on the tail end of the age that this concept was being marketed to. Thank goodness. However, while I gave into a number of toy concepts, the Princesses were banned from darkening our doorstep. (oh yeah, and the Bratz)

I was always really distressed with this whole princess concept and especially with the grotesque abundance of princess swag. Not only were the Disney princesses banned from our house, but any shirt or item that suggested, "I am a princess," or "it's all about me," were off limits. This consumerist trend for young girls to be self centered and narcissistic is not only disturbing in the present, but I believe it has had significant negative repercussions on our girls as they grow into young women. Add in the fact that in these princess stories, most of the women have to lose something or give up something of themselves to please or rope in a man.

Emily never had these things, but it amazes me how narcissistic and self obsessed she is - add in an inflated sense of entitlement - and you have my daughter, and most of the girls she knows. I know she didn't get this from me. I tried everything to curb this kind of thinking. It is evident that the princess trend is just a piece of a much larger cultural puzzle, symptomatic of the cultural ills....ethnocentrism, imperialism, glutton, consumer capitalism, crass individualism and self absorption.

I promote care and respect for self and for others. I stand behind the development of healthy self esteem, self worth and valuing the wonderful talents and gifts one has. However, the princess line of thinking breeds unhealthy narcissism, and ultimately low self esteem. The whole marketing campaign is to sell things, not make young girls feel worthy or good about themselves. There is a difference between healthy self worth and self absorbed entitlement.

These days, as it has been for so long, girls are identified by what they associate with, not by what they do. Its about trinkets and clothes, boys and bands. Not that I am opposed to all of those things.....but, within reason. And the thing is, she is the opposite of princess culture on the surface. She wears dark eyeliner and dyes her hair black. However, these days, the whole "emo" thing is just a black and red version of the princesses.....it's all neatly packaged and ready to sell. Emily has given up all forms of personal creativity and expression for a shallow identity wrapped up in an image she bought at the mall, what she has and what consumerist products she likes. I have been grieving and mourning this.

Just the other day, Emily saw that I had put a photo of some friends of mine on my computer desktop. She said, "you aren't in that picture.....so, why is it on your desktop?" I was a little surprised by the question and answered, "well, they are my friends and I like the photo." Later, I realized, I should have used the opportunity for a "teaching moment," because on her computer she puts pictures of herself......not with friends....just pictures of herself (ya know with the come hither, myspace smoochy face). I don't understand this. But, it is just part and parcel of this "it's all about me" culture....yuck.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I know what you mean exactly. My youngest cousin Logan does the same thing. It's quite depressing, but it seems to be the norm now for adolecent girls. I think you are right that things like the bratz and the whole "self-obsessed" tee-shirt thing too...she wears those. TV shows don't help much either, like the ones about the weathy CA teenagers and stuff... meh. Good job at least trying to counteract the brainwashing.