Monday, January 07, 2008

farewell dear friend

After a flurry of text messages and confusion this afternoon, I was given the news that my friend Natalie Jane Jacobs died on January 3rd. I spoke to her a few days before that. I know she had been feeling sick, but I never thought it was more than the flu or some yucky bug. I just can't believe she is gone. It doesn't make any sense.

I swiped this picture from another forum she posts on. But, she loved that photo and showed it to me on a number of occasions. It cracks me up.

Natalie was a complex person, who had many passions and interests. She was in training to be a midwife, and we shared a common interest in fighting for the health and rights of women. She and I both loved talking politics and ranting about the state of the things. She loved Harry Potter, and even wrote loads of fan fiction, which I teased her mercilessly about. She loved pirate movies and novels about the high seas in the 18th century.

She also loved music - Sonic Youth, Jim O'Rourke, XTC and Wilco....oh yeah, and a lot of strange avant garde stuff that i couldn't even begin to "get".... haha! She made tinfoil scupltures and was a phenomenal writer.

I never hung out with her much in person, since she lived 1000 miles away from me, but we spoke frequently and we had even tossed around ideas about writing a book together.

Oh Natalie, I can't believe you're gone. I am really going to miss you. I will keep fighting the good fight, and you will never be forgotten.

rest in peace.

1 comment:

RuthG said...

I'm so sorry, Kate.

I myself have been reeling from the totally unexpected news early this week that one of my online friends at SparkPeople died early on Friday Jan. 4! Her husband posted the news in a brief note on her Sparkpage. She was one of my teammates, so those of us left on the team have been SO sad & shocked.

Natalie sounds like a delightful, memorable person. May she rest in peace.