Wednesday, January 30, 2008

sometimes, we just need a day off

For Emily, and for the rest of us, the last few days have been a little intense and difficult. Over the weekend, Emily was almost behaving intolerably. Then, come Monday, some things I can't really disclose in public happened with her father. She handled it with with maturity and grace, well most of it anyway. This saw me sitting up with her until 1am. I think a lot of what came out of it was very cathartic for her. She has been quite pleasant over the last couple of days, relatively speaking. I really hope that we can take some of this into counseling, where we can explore more about the effects her dad's sickness and abuse has had on her. I really think if she is able to address this successfully, she will lead a much more pleasant and happy life.

So, this morning, she comes into my room at 7am complaining of a stomach ache. I wasn't going to press the issue, or grill her too much, and just said, "go back to bed. You can stay home." She actually likes going to school, so when she wants to stay home, I know she is not feeling well.....at least to some degree. After all, when we are faced with significant psychological and relational difficulties and traumas, our bodies can really be affected. So, let the child rest!

After a nice lie-in until noon, she got up and helped me clean the apartment. We then hunkered down on the sofas with blankets and pillows and watched Freaks and Geeks, which I rented the other day. I really thought she would like it (I was right). We ordered in sandwiches and enjoyed a lazy afternoon.

Emily doesn't spend much time with me. She is usually quite difficult to be with. However, today was a treat and it feels so nice just to hang out with her and goof off a little and talk about silly teenage things. For all of the teeth gnashing I do over her, I sure do love that kid.

No comments: