Saturday, December 20, 2008

back on the horse

Last winter I started training for the Danskin Women's Triathlon. This was a big goal and project to help me lose weight, get into shape and accomplish something big! I was doing so well with my swimming. I was doing my 1/2 mile freestyle every day and was about to move into training on my bike when Brad died. This totally threw me off the horse. I couldn't concentrate on training and had little energy and motivation to keep training and to concentrate on my weight watchers program (it takes a lot of cognitive energy and time to track food and re-calibrate eating habits). Well, time has passed, I am in terrible shape, gaining weight, etc and it's time.....time to get back on the horse.

Today is day one of going back to Weight Watchers. I am in STL, so no gym for me. But, when I return next week I am going to start back to the gym and get into the pool. The event was in July last year - so I am guessing it will be the same again this year. So, my training schedule will be as such: Jan/Feb in the pool; Mar/Apr on the bike; May/June working on my jogging - which will be QUITE the challenge. I have never been a good runner, even when I was young and thin. I am hoping that four months of swimming and cycling along with weight watchers will help me lose a significant amount of weight so the running will come more easily. So, yeah! New Year - New Goals!

I will be very happy to see 2008 fall into the past. It's been a bad year. No, a horrible year. No, a disastrous year!!! But, I am feeling good about the year ahead. Emily is safe and working hard on her program. Graham has a job. I am nearing the final stretch in my MA program at Loyola. Graham and I are both falling into a comfortable place in our church community. A move back to STL is on the horizon. I am feeling ready to jump back into concentrating on my health and fitness. We are blessed.

Christmas is going to pass without much fanfare this year. This is the way I want it. I can't even believe it's a few days away. I have been spending so much time working in the shelter and spending time with my dear STL friends - time has flown by. I am looking forward to spending Christmas Eve and Day at the shelter. I have made some good friends there and look forward to playing card and dice games, knitting with some of the women and enjoying their company.

2009? *deep breath* bring it on.

No comments: