Friday, August 24, 2007

that's right it's time for your weekly youtube installment



I first heard Fuzzbox is probably 1988. I loved their distorded, fuzzy guitar sound and their sassy female vocals. I was pretty taken by their album cover:
Fuzzbox - Bostin' Steve Austin Their punky hair and crazy clothes were intriguing and daring - or so I thought at the time. They intimidated me and I thought, "wow, I could never be as cool as them."I had forgotten about Fuzzbox by the time I was 16 and a Junior in high school, when my friend Kati pulled out the tape one day in her car. It then became a staple again amongst my friends in Nashville. Many years later I wanted to hear it again. Out of print and hard to find, I finally picked it up on eBay on vinyl. I don't even think that one album is on CD, though you can get most of those songs on other collections.

I was thinking about them last week and did a youtube search and came across this video for one of my favorite songs they did, "Love is the Slug". It always seemed to be the song that defined their sound. It sounds pretty dated now and the video projects an image of them that was very different than the image I had of them in my head, as a young teen. Here, they come across as very poppy and bubblegum-ish. Essentially, they were a bubblegum post punk group; kind of like a Go-Go's with big hair. However, when I was young, I thought they would have been hard edged bad asses - and they come across as kind of ditsy and lame in this video. Ahhhh well.....it's still fun to look back.

No comments: