Friday, September 28, 2007

my statement for the press conference

Hello, my name is Katherine Stewart. My daughter, Emily, is 13 years old. Earlier this year, Emily was diagnosed with a disorder that affects her behavior at home and her ability to learn and perform well at school. We had no insurance coverage at the time of her diagnosis. On the initial trip to the pharmacy, I was shocked to find out that the cost for a month’s worth of the medication prescribed was more than $400. I had no idea how we would pay for such an expense. I left the pharmacy empty handed and distraught. Like many working families, we have found it difficult to acquire affordable, comprehensive health insurance. Thanks to the Illinois All Kids program, Emily now receives the much-needed medication and her health and functioning has improved.

I am dismayed that the expansion of SCHIP funding is in jeopardy. I hear many politicians talk about family values and moral imperatives, but their actions don't seem to add up. When it comes to valuing life and family, I can think of no cause as important as insuring the health and well being of our children. I am grateful to people like Senator Durbin who are working to get my child, and your children, the care they need. We must not stand idly by and allow this legislation to be torn apart or compromised. I encourage all Americans to stand up, for the well-being of our nation and our future, and demand that this legislation be passed. Thank you Senator for inviting my family and me here today and for giving me a few moments to speak. Thank you.

No comments: