Wednesday, November 14, 2007

a depeche find!



I thought I had seen it all. Back in the late 80's I was a Depeche Mode junkie. Long before the days of filesharing, youtube or even compact discs, it was a challenge to get your hands on everything your favorite band did. In Junior High Depeche Mode was IT for me.....I listened to other things, but as some can attest when I had a favorite - it was eat, sleep, breathe that favorite. I collected DM 12" singles with every mega mix, super mix, crazy mix (yadda yadda yadda) that one could imagine!! It was like an ongoing scavenger hunt for the next nugget. There was no internet back then, you couldn't just order that one you couldn't find from Germany or find it on eBay. You just had to dig through record store bins every few weeks and see what you could find. That was so much fun! I would fill most weekends with babysitting gigs to make money to buy more records.

In 8th grade, I had this collection of Depeche Mode videos that I rented from the mom and pop video store. I copied it with our double VCR hook up and watched it until it died. It had years worth of videos - but it didn't have this one!! I mean, if you watch it, you might think, "well it's pretty silly!" But all the rest of their videos were pretty silly too. I mean, crikey, People or People was filmed on a Naval vessel! huh? So, I am not entirely sure why it didn't make the cut on the video. But, I am pretty floored to find it now. I used to love this song! (warning: it is SO dated now)

Best part? The video makes me giggle.

No comments: