Friday, November 09, 2007

your weekly youtube installment



It's hard to believe I first heard the Buena Vista Social Club for the first time almost ten years ago. Their wild success brought the sounds of Cuban Son into the lives and homes of people around the world. I was no different. I have to say that it also changed my life. I had always been fascinated by Cuba, but once I started listening to them - and other Cuban music - I was hooked.

When I graduated with my BFA in Photography in 2002, my mom gave me the graduation gift of a trip to Cuba with a group from a local university. I went with the desire to learn about the nation and photograph this exquisite place. I came back with a deep love for nation. I ended up spending the next few years of my life in grad school, working on an MA in History, Cuba being my major field. I returned to Cuba again in the summer of 2003. That's another story. Over the course of the two trips I have seen the island from coast to coast.

While, now my life has taken yet another turn - Cuba, the people there, the sights, smells, sounds and the history have left an indelible mark on my heart and soul.

No comments: