Thursday, December 13, 2007

go-go's vs. bangles?



It falls in line with all of those other vexing eternal questions: chocolate vs. vanilla, stones vs. beatles, oasis vs. blur, cubs vs. sox.....you can only choose one.

Well, sadly, aren't they really the only all women bands in the 80's who played instruments? (well, on top 40 radio anyway) *sigh* Come to think of it, how many bands are there made up by ALL women in any decade? And I don't mean girl groups of singers, I am talking bands. I can think of a handful....how about you?

Anyway, I am sorry Susanna, but the Bangles are simply a low rent, second rate Go-Go's. Ok, so Walk Like an Egyptian was fun for a few minutes, and it's nice to hear every few years on 80's radio. But, the Bangles don't hold a candle (or an eternal flame, har har) to the Go-Go's.

Coming out of the LA punk scene (heck, I think Lorna Doom - of Germs infamy - was in an early incarnation of the Go-Go's, if I recall correctly) the Go-Go's were a pop force to be reckoned with. Even in their pop music, you can hear twinges of their punk roots. This is likely why they really stick with me.

In the 80's days of muscle shirts and the male dominated recording industry, these women stood out to young girls like me, who for the first time wanted to be the band, not be a girlfriend TO the band! Sure, we had our fill of vacuous female pop stars in the 80's....none of them could play an instrument. But, these women took charge of turntables, stages and televisions. There was none of this pouty, come hither Like a Virgin nonsense......they didn't need that to sell records. One could argue that they were popular because they were a novelty, a one off. I don't think this is the case at all. They were a solid band and wrote catchy, fun pop songs. They had a vibrancy and, dare I sat it, liberated sexuality, that attracted men and women alike. These were the women I wanted to be like: spirited, fun, talented and in charge.



So, how about you....Go-Go's or Bangles? (or Bananarama? do they count? did they even play instruments? - that Cruel Summer song was pretty awesome....well, it was when I was ten. ha!)

No comments: