Friday, December 28, 2007

so....

Christmas has come and gone. I had a lot of trouble getting into the Christmas spirit this year. We got the tree up, bought and made some gifts, but it just never felt like the holiday season.

However, one thing Christmas did bring was the chance to go to St Louis and see my mom and friends. Whee! We had a really nice visit there and I will be back there in less than two weeks.

I finally got to meet one of my favorite online pals (fellow VCer and knitting obsessive) Robin, and we had a fun day/evening of Guitar Hero, some knitting, coffee and a delicious meal out. Even Emily had fun!! That was a joy.

I *heart* Robin!

Mom, Graham and I got a chance to go see The Kite Runner. It is very true to the book, with a few details left out. We all enjoyed it and it was nice to see with mom, since she had read it too. I am glad that it wasn't as sappy as the ads made it out to be. Ya know, with the syrupy orchestration and the default male voice talking about the one movie that will change your life. A beautiful film, of a beautiful book. Definitely worth seeing. It's funny, Graham and I have been to two movies in the last few weeks. We rarely go to the theatre, and had only seen one other movie in the theatre all year. Splurge!

Christmas Eve was delightful. I spent the day with Callie. I got to dote on her wee ones for a bit, and then she and I had a meal out at the Pasta House. Yum. I spent the afternoon with Dave, doing a little last minute gift shopping. Well, he did some shopping - I sat on a bench in the mall reading Cormac McCarthy. I never was much for malls. He then spent the evening with us at my mom's house. We had lots of yummy food, played Taboo! and enjoyed some reminiscing next to the fireplace. Graham, mom and I went to Christmas Eve church and then I drove Dave home very late. We did gifts on Christmas morning, and had to drive home later in the day, back to Chicago. I was quite weepy.

I got some lovely gifts: circular knitting needle set with interchangeable cords (WOW!), some nice books and CDs and I think that's about it. My favorite gift of the year was the print I got for Graham....an MST3K parody of a George Bellows (my great grandfather) painting. Whenever I see Bellows parodies pop up in pop-culture references, I feel like we have arrived! lol! I saw one in The Simpsons recently - and of the same painting. Graham also got an MST3K dvd set from his dad - and ones we haven't seen. Yippee!!

All in all, December has been a lovely month. I have been studying for my exam on the 11th of Jan - but I have also been getting in plenty of rest, knitting and time with friends. The next semester at Loyola promises to be a lot more difficult than the last.

I have been working on a new knitting project that I will talk more about soon. It is my own invention, and design (though a simple design). Once I get some photos and have more time to write about it, I will. I finished most of Emily's hat I did for Christmas, but it's just too small. Bah! So, I didn't finish the liner on it. I may knit it over again and adjust the pattern to make it wider. I like the yarn I used and loved the design......so, it won't be a big hassle. It knits fast, too! I am still working on the MSt3K scarf for Graham - though I am just not pleased with it - I may try a change in technique and yarn......I have been contemplating my next step there.

A few year end words of advice:

- read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Hands down, the best fiction I have read this year. Yes, I am on that bandwagon

- go see No Country for Old Men. Hands down, one of the best films I have seen in a number of years. (book also by McCarthy) However, this film is not for the squeamish. It is hard to watch, can be pretty nerve wracking and terrifying, but wow - what a work of film making genius. The Coens' rarely disappoint.

Happy New Year!

No comments: