Friday, March 21, 2008

knitting goodies

Who knew knitting needles could be a work of art?! Well, when I was in Alexandria, VA at the coolest yarn store in the world, I discovered Lantern Moon needles. They are beautifully hand crafted needles, from Vietnam. I was so smitten with the beauty of them, I decided to look them up on the web and found out that this is a wonderful company.....here's a little something:

We work directly with our producers to provide income, education and self-reliance to Vietnamese women and their families.

In 2004, we established an educational trust fund to benefit the children of these families. The natural materials that inspire our designs are combined with traditional handcrafting skills that have passed down from generation to generation. Our knitting needles are crafted in a family owned and managed business that provides training and opportunities.

With your purchases you help provide a market for these wonderful products and contribute to the economic and social well being of the areas where they are produced.

So, knitters.....check out these beautiful needles, next time you are in the market for some. You can also purchase them through yarnmarket.com They are a bit pricey. You can get some nice Clover brand bamboo needles at a fraction of the cost. But, believe me, they are worth the price. They are like the Ferrari's of knitting needles! I want to recommend yarn market as well. I am working on a cashmerino patchwork baby blanket for a friend of mine. I was running out of yarn and placed an order with them on Wednesday evening, the yarn arrived this afternoon. I have never received a yarn order so quickly! I made sure to drop them a line to thank them for their prompt shipment. They have a lot of nice things, too.

No comments: