Wednesday, March 12, 2008

triathlon/fitness push update

I know this isn't interesting to anyone else but me - but, I am doing this more for myself to keep track of my progress.....

So, since I decided to do the women's triathlon this summer, I thought I should see where I am at. My first attempt at swimming the 1/2 mile, I clocked in at 35 minutes. I spoke to a friend of mine who used to be a competitive swimmer and she gave me some tips and coaching about my freestyle. In the 35 minute attempt, I could never go more than 50 yards freestyle, before going back to breaststroke. I would just get so out of breath. It's not that I was swimming hard, I always aim for endurance, not speed.

So, tonight, I took my friend's advice and I was able to do 100 yard stretches of freestyle with a lot fewer laps of breaststroke in between my freestyle. Time? 29 minutes. So, I was able to shave off 6 minutes. Woah! Obviously, I won't be making big leaps like that all the time - but it was encouraging. I did 8 miles on the bike the other night, and was aiming for 12 but was distracted with teenage issues......

I have yet to do much with the run/walk (3 miles) but I wanted to work on my swimming for a little while first, before I move on to that. Since I won't have the gym again until next Tuesday, I am bringing some sneakers to DC/VA to at least do some walking. I am sure all that cleaning and box lifting will give me a good workout, too!!

No comments: